Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Song That Makes You Happy

Otto Titsling by Bette Midler

Before you judge me, hear me out. I only saw the movie Beaches once and I think I slept in my seat while my mom cried watching the film. I was young so I don't remember much from the movie other than it being sad, probably recalled from my mom's reaction. She must have bought the soundtrack after that because I listened to it ALL of the time. I don't really know much of Bette Midler's work aside from this soundtrack but I do know that that soundtrack is killer. Say what you will :)

I spent a lot of time at my grandparent's house growing up, often figuring out things to make or perform for them. I have a distinct memory of performing this song for them (acting it out all of the while) and being wildly embarrassed singing the word 'tits' to them which is ironic because 'torpedo tits' was a widely used phrase in that household growing up. My family is a bit offbeat ;) I probably coughed or sniffed through that part :) The fact that the whole song was about boobs didn't bother me though!

This song makes me happy for a number of reasons. It makes me laugh. It reminds me of my grandparents. It reminds me of my mom. It has humorous operatic parts that I LOVE to sing along to. In fact, you should have heard me singing along while searching for the video. Makes me smile big time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment