Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Weekend in Paris...

...Paris, Arkansas to be exact.


So as I've mentioned before, life's been pretty chaotic lately and while I've been jonesin' for some R&R, the mister's been jonesin' for some fishing and camping. We decided to take a few days off of work and drive the three hours to Paris, Arkansas to go camping where I grew up camping, Cove Lake, halfway up Mount Magazine, the highest point in Arkansas.



Beginning when I was about four years old, my family would pack up and camp out there with friends at least twice a year for about a week at a time. I knew that place like the back of my hand and have memories upon wonderful memories associated with the small lake and trails. The last time I was there? When I was 17 or 18 years old which would be about 12 or 13 years ago. Lay your eyes on this gem...I was probably about 13??? This is on the top of Mount Magazine with my little (now taller) sister. Check out my fashion tastes!

One of the nicest parts about this trip is that it was just myself, the mister and the beast. Granted, we made lots of Arkansan friends out there, but all in all, it was just the three of us for four glorious days.

When I was in my late teens, my family went through some pretty hellacious storms atop the mountain and decided it would safer for us in situations like that if we stayed in a camper, thus a pop-up was purchased. My folks still had that same pop-up and after a few minor repairs and replacements, it was ready to be used again! It was so much fun to go back through those drawers and be thrown back into my teen years!

We cooked most of our meals over the open fire with the exception of our breakfasts which I cooked on the propane stove hooked up through the camper. Here's the beast and myself during said breakfast time :) I'm modeling my apron I tie-dyed on my birthday last year!

Cove Lake is a mighty small area but has some very special spots tucked away in it! This gigantic rock is affectionately known as Turtle Rock. Throughout my years there, I've even seen someone pitch a tent and sleep all night on this rock! The beast had quite the time getting to the top of it :)

The lake is quite small as well but perfect for canoeing and hiking around which I used to LOVE to do growing up! I took my menfolk on a three-mile hike around that puppy on our second day! Here's the only picture of us from the trip together! Guess we need to pack another photographer on our next trip ;)




On this particular hike, the beast pointed out an armadillo to us (thank goodness he was leashed or that armadillo would have been mincemeat!) who then led us to three more armadillos! It was a rolly poly family! The only place I have EVER seen live armadillos are on that mountain!

Another cool little hidden special spot is an old marker along the hike that notes where a couple was married in the late 1800's and then later buried in life together there. Unfortunately, things had overgrown quite a bit so I was unable to find the exact spot. Next time...

We had SUCH a perfect time out there singing, reading, crafting (coming up on another post!), cooking, eating, talking, laughing, swimming, breathing deep and just enjoying each other and the beautiful smells and sounds of Cove Lake.


It couldn't have been a better trip than what we experienced. We are already compiling our list of what to pack next time...which will be soon :)

1 comment:

  1. What a fun post! I can almost smell the lake and trees from looking through your photos. Very cool! You and the beast are so cute on top of Turtle Rock, and that last picture should be framed. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete