Monday, February 8, 2010

Spring Cleaning in the Winter

I've been crazy busy lately with school, the Alliday Show (applications are up!!), cleaning out my grandpa's (more on that in a later post) and much more. All of this busy-bodiness leads to lots and lots of stress cleaning for me! I deal with stress through hardcore cleaning. And I love it. This weekend I lamed it up and cleaned from Friday afternoon until Sunday night. Here's the pictures to prove it!



First up, the kitchen corner. So we've got this random corner that is bricked in our kitchen. Originally it housed a Benjamin Franklin wood burning stove. Well, the stove didn't work when we moved in and we looked at it as wasted space so we pawned the puppy off on my folks :) Then the space became a catch-all for plants, animal food bowls, and run down fish tanks. Friday night we emptied everything out of that space and started fresh..and this was the outcome! We now have a little-mini fridge in the corner (which the mister scored for free from work!), the 'animal station' and our fancy schmancy trash can all in one area! Ahh, it feels so much better!



Then I moved on to our spare bedroom/my workstation/new fuzzy's headquarters. I've posted many times about cleaning and organizing in this room, the most recent move documented here. Things needed to change a bit as we've acquired a new cat who requires more than one litter box and I've acquired all sorts of little trinkets we've dug out at my grandpa's (don't worry, he's still alive and well!) so we needed to make a little room for stuff.

Here's the TV and litter corner. Yes, that is an old school Nintendo I've got there. Want to come over for some Tetris matches???? I hid the new litter box under a end table not being used, used an oversized scarf to cover up the mister's massive cd collection on the bookshelf and moved around some knick knacks from the rest of the house to create this! I think it's a million times better than what it was!


Here's a bit of a closeup. Used some other random scarves to wrap around a plastic flower pot and pulled out a pretty display of tiny trinkets I've collected over the years.


Cool little candle holder my grandma used to burn incense in, a wooden box with mother of pearl birds which is FILLED with part of my match collection (you can't be the daughter of a man who calls himself the Master of Fire and Light without a match collection!) and a little lamp to set the mood.

On the other side of the room, or where the creative magic happens, I needed to shift things around to house this! What in the world is it, you ask? Well it's an old school typewriter table that my grandpa used to type up invoices on when he had his machine shop! I LOVE it!!! The ends of it flip up for more desk space and it has a little drawer for little doodads. Can't forget the way the bottom is designed for maximum foot space!

I received a sewing machine for Christmas, which I've only learned how to turn the light on so far yet more amazing things are sure to come, which needed a home. You tell me that little typewriter table isn't PERFECT for it!!! I just can't get over how they were made for each other :)
I even got down and dirty and cleaned out the dreaded bottom shelf which is usually a catch-all for anything and everything. Used some undershelf storage baskets and found homes for other randoms so now I have a clean and organized bottom shelf! Yay!
And finally, I snagged this little shelf that housed spices above my grandparents' stove for 30+ years. I wasn't sure where it would go when I took it but it found the perfect home holding old gelatin mold glass dishes I was passed down which I use to store actively used beads! All six of them fit like a glove!
Am I the only one who loves cleaning and organizing this much? Does it make you feel as accomplished as it does me? What makes you feel like you've gotten something done?

3 comments:

  1. I'll be the first to say that you have a problem but, I'll also be the first to say that we're all jealous of your problem. It's amazing how this little organizing/cleaning gene skips generations. sigh...
    So, spring break, yeah? You're coming out to CA to organize my life, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks fantastic. I confess to stress cleaning also! I love the feeling of having everything organized and in a place of it's own.

    ReplyDelete