Monday, August 3, 2009

What's this? A weekend at home???

This past weekend was our first weekend at home with no obligations! And it was wonderful! Actually, we somewhat started our weekend a day early even though we still had to work on Friday.

Thursday evening April, her mister and the widdle beast joined us for dinner and toddies. Since our garden is mass producing zucchini right now, I decided to give zucchini bread a try! I've never even had the stuff before, and to be honest, zucchini in bread sounded somewhat strange to me. Leave it to me to not take any pictures of the endeavor! I based my recipe off of a recipe from allrecipes.com - some of the changes I made though were subbing one cup of the sugar for brown sugar, minusing 1 tsp of vanilla (simply because I didn't have enough!), didn't add the nuts, added about a tsp of nutmeg, and added white grapes to the mixture which were SO good! Ok, get ready, because I am about to toot my own horn.....It was SOOOOOOO good! I will DEF do it again! It was easy, fun and incredibly popular! It served as the perfect dessert for a wonderful dinner with friends!

Moving on...

I realized recently that I hadn't posted much about the garden! Here's a pic the mister snapped of it this weekend. We didn't have much luck with the tomatoes this year as some little critter binged on them during the night. Glad someone enjoyed them! ;) We have had wonderful success with the jalapenos, squash, zucchini, green beans, lettuce, okra mmmmm, and green peppers!


Tulsa had rain in the forecast for Saturday but lucky us, we saw none! So a day planned to be spent inside changed to a day spent outside all day! The weather was beautiful and since we had no plans, the mister and I enjoyed the fresh air and hummingbirds that have been frequenting our yard. The mister played with his binoculars (I swear this picture is not staged...he stood in front of me FOREVER looking in all of the trees for little critters ;) while the beast stared at him strangely.

And I moved the jewelry operation to the back porch to work outside!

Listened to some good tunes, drank some fresh tea and got to work!

We hung out outside until the mosquitoes started to swarm and then we moved inside. Sunday we spent the majority of the day at Big Splash! Yeah! We bought passes this summer (since it's pretty much a sin to live so close and not have passes!) and have barely used them so we're in Big Splash overdrive right now ;) After splashin', we came home and CRASHED. It was the perfect way to end the weekend!
In other news, I strongly encourage you to check out Pretty Girls Use Knives latest post by Ms. Leah and read about her adventures with cooking Squash Blossoms! We provided a few of ours from the garden for her to toy with. They sound SO interesting! Their site is a fun one to get lost in!!!
ALSO....I super strongly encourage you to visit the Tulsa Flea Market this Saturday and chat with the widowed man who is selling his wife's bead collection. This family is SOOOOO friendly and enjoyable that I find myself spending about an hour just talking with them each Saturday! They will be there until the goods are gone and it looks like they've still got looooooooooooots left! Findings, seed beads, glass beads, plastic vintage beads, cane glass, and sooooo much more! I believe the F.M. only has a few more weeks left until it goes away for a month or two so you should def go now! And give yourself and hour or so to take in the entire Flea Market! It's easy to get stuck in there!
And FINALLY (man, I feel like my fingers are out of breath!), I am pleased to announce that we will be a part of the Dustbowl Arts Market on August 29th in Norman! Yeah road trip! Maybe I'll see you there????

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out the Tulsa Flea Market. I've never been to that particular one, but I'd love to get some vintage beads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I'm pretty sure I would love that zucchini bread. I wasn't expecting it to be a dessert, is it more sweet or vegetably?

    I'm loving your garden! Living in an apartment, a tiny balcony is the only piece of the outdoors that I can have all to myself. And while I work with what I've got, it's not a place I would want to just hang out all day because of how cramped the space is (mostly due to my dozens of potted plants). I look forward to the day when we have a house, and one of the main reasons is that I want my own yard so badly! Until then, craft it up in your backyard for me girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete