Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Busy Busy Busy!

Wooeeee it's been a crazy week and it's only Wednesday! Let's see, my folks have absconded to Ireland for some much needed away time, my mister has been in Austin for the past three days (he'll be back tonight - yipee!) and my Papa had his hip replaced on Monday. Meanwhile, I've been helping run the family business (one of my five million jobs), teaching a beginning ESL class (like beginning beginning...it's an experience!), worrying about my Papa (he's doing great) and missing my mister. My shoulders are habouring the stress I believe. Believe it or not though, I have been able to work on some stuff...my saving grace!

Where to begin?!?! Well, as we all know, my mom's birthday was last week and all she wanted were several pairs of earrings for her trip...so I delivered!


I also gave her my first attempt at an idea I've been toying with, a jewelry journal! I put a picture of each of the pairs of earrings on a separate card with prompts that she can record memories on that are associated with the piece of jewelry. I came up with the idea based on all of the jewelry that so many of us inherit over the years and not knowing all of the stories the jewelry knows! So why not have some sort of organized system where people can jot down where something came from, who gave it to them, how it makes them feel, what they like to wear it with and wonderful memories associated with that piece! They are certainly at the first stages of evolution but I hope to fine tune them and make them something really handy!


And my widdle wrapping job. We ended up having a really fun dinner at In the Raw on Brookside where a street festival was going on! We had first row seats to the band playing :) It was fun night.
This little diddy was made last week and didn't last for long! In fact, I didn't even have a chance to properly photograph it before it was sold! I freaking LOVE this one! Those little spirals are old earrings :)

Next order of business, is the deck! When we moved into our house, we also acquired a nicely built, but forgotten, deck. The roof had no pitch, leaked lots, the walls were covered with old trellace and it just needed a major facelift! Well, over the past month or so, the mister removed all of the siding, removed the roof, put a pitch on the roof and built the bottom part of our soon to be screened in porch! We really want an area where the cats can hang out 'outside' but not really be outside. The mister and his friend did a wonderful job on Sunday working on the deck!

The next step is putting on new roof, then screening in the top portion, staining everything to match and finally building a screen door!
This is the beast's girlfriend (the four-legged daughter of the mister's good friend) who we're calling lady on here :) I babysat the two Friday night while the menfolk went out and the beast and lady were SO cute together! Makes me wonder if we should get another dog...nahhhhh. ;)
Like I mentioned before, our garden is rockin! Saturday we picked these two massive cucumbers. I'm really not a cucumber person at all but we cut up one of these for a pasta salad and they were sooooooooo good!

Just a portion of the five million radishes we picked!

And finally, I want to encourage everyone to go to the flea market at the Fairgrounds (21st & Yale in Tulsa) and check out the little old man's booth who is selling his wife's old beads! They are SUCH nice people and the amount of stuff they keep bringing is amazing! Seed beads galore, glass beads, wooden beads, findings, beading magazines dating back to the 70's and so so so much more! They've even talked about bringing up yarn, silk flowers, doll parts and more! Maybe I'll see you there!

4 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of a jewelry log!

    Your porch is going to be awesome! How lovely to have a sunroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jewelry log is a great, great idea. My garden just got planted, so I am so envious of the produce! Thanks for the kind words on my blog.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're brilliant with the jewelry journal! Feel free to mail some of those veggies to Nashville. :)

    I've begged Russell for years to let us get another dog. No such luck. Abner is still a loner. Don't worry, he's quite the ladies man and has plenty o' play dates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of the jewelry journal. What a neat idea! And, I just love your new deck. At our old house my husband built a deck kind of like yours and trealised it in with rafters overhead for hanging baskets. I loved it. Had Honeysuckle vines growing up and over the deck for quite a long time. Thanks for sharing.

    Rosemary, Garden Gate Designs

    ReplyDelete