Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A bit of history

One of the five bajillion reasons I find jewelry so intriguing is that it has existed as long as people have existed. The amount of knowledge one can learn from examining a piece of jewelry can tell one SO much about the history and advancements of a culture, the person who the bauble belonged to and of course plays an important part in the evolution of jewelry making.

I always get excited when I read jewelry news in the news. I found this article today about glass beads being found from the Spanish Empire of the 17th century. Check it out and reflect on how inanimate objects can be teachers to us all.

1 comment:

  1. That article was so interesting, I want to go visit the beads at the Museum of Natural History!!

    I have a book called "The Curious Lore of Precious Stones" by George Frederick Kunz, and I think you'd love it. He discusses the rituals, beliefs, and history behind some of the most popular gemstones. It's fascinating!

    ReplyDelete